Creating Media Assets & Recommended Audio-Video (AV) File Formats
Media assets are the building blocks of the subscriptions marketed to customers; they can include videos, audio files, PDFs and zip files. Media assets can be accessed through a web browser and your white-label apps.
Recommended AV File Formats
|Video Format||MP4, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MOV|
|Audio File Format||MP3|
|Document Formats||PDF, zip|
|Video Picture Size||1920 x 1080|
|File Size / Frames Per Second||1GB per hour of video / 30|
|Recommended Bit Rate||10 mbps|
The Intelivideo platform supports many different types of media files, but the majority of clients choose MP4, MPEG-4, or MPEG-2. If your media files are in a different format, please contact your Client Success Manager to see if we can accommodate that format.
Size and Bit Rate:
In general, the higher the quality of your content’s source file, the better. Therefore, you are best served by using the highest resolution, Variable Bit Rate encoding settings available to you. As Intelivideo streams content to your users, this will result in the highest fidelity picture quality for them. Of course, their specific device, screen size, Internet connection speed, etc. will all affect their playback experience but, in general, they will have very good quality video. In the case where your user downloads a video or an audio file for “local device playback” (i.e., to their “downloads folder”), we will deliver them an appropriately formatted MP4 version of your source content.
There are many available application options that you can use to digitally encode, format and compress your video and audio content. Here are a few helpful articles for general knowledge and reviews of various applications:
How to Upload Media
- From your Dashboard, select “Media” from the left-hand menu. This will direct you to the Media Asset Library where you can manage all of your media files.
- Click on “+ New Media”
- Click on “Upload File”
- Select or drag files to upload.
- A timer bar will indicate the progress of the upload. Once uploaded, the media file will join the queue for transcoding, and you can check the progress from the media page. Depending on the size of the video, you should expect transcoding to take a few hours.
- Once uploaded, Intelivideo transcodes video and audio files into a variety of formats. Files are not compressed during transcoding but converted to different file formats for optimal delivery on various devices.
Title: The name of your media asset.
Access: You can toggle a media file to be Private or Public.
- Public: Accessible to the public without purchase (e.g. trailer or free video)
- Private: Only available to paying customers who have purchased the applicable subscription (by default, your media assets are set to Private)
Preview Image: For videos, an image is taken at the 45-second mark during the transcoding process. However, a custom image can also be uploaded for the Preview Image. Custom images should have an aspect ratio of 16:9, file size of 1920x1080 or 1280x720, and file type of jpg or png.
- A standard image is used for PDFs and audio files, but a custom image can also be added to these assets as well.
Description: Provide a brief description of the media asset.
Please reach out to your Client Success Manager with any questions.
Updated January 28, 2020